- Microsoft to Pay $20M to Settle FTC Charges It Violated Children's Privacy – CNET
Dienstag 4:10 – Steven Musil at CNETThe company illegally collected and retained info collected by its Xbox gaming system, the federal watchdog says.
- The Apple Vision Pro Is a Dystopian Device for a Dystopian World – CNET
Dienstag 3:55 – Mark Serrels at CNETCommentary: It’s not for normal people.
- I wore the Apple Vision Pro. It’s the best headset demo ever.
Dienstag 2:05 – Nilay Patel at The Verge – All PostsApple’s new don’t-call-it-a-VR-headset is the best riff on some very familiar ideas, but still searching for a purpose.
- Microsoft to pay $20m for child privacy violations
Dienstag 1:20 – BBC News – TechnologyThe tech giant used data collected from child Xbox users without telling parents, US regulators say.
- Apple's iOS 17 Debut at WWDC Sees Major Updates to Journal, FaceTime and More – CNET
Dienstag 1:18 – Patrick Holland at CNETThe new iPhone software brings a number of fixes and additions.
- Microsoft to pay $20 million FTC settlement over improperly storing Xbox account data for kids
Dienstag 0:40 – Jay Peters at The Verge – All PostsIllustration: Alex Castro / The Verge Microsoft is set to pay the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) a $20 million settlement over charges that the company violated the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). The company retained certain personal information of kids far longer than it should have when they made accounts, according to a press release. Microsoft will also have to make some changes as part of a proposed order filed by the Department of Justice (DOJ) on behalf of the FTC. Those changes include telling parents that a separate child account comes with additional privacy protec …
- Apple Vision Pro first look: the mixed reality future is (almost) here
Dienstag 0:03 – David Pierce at The Verge – All PostsWhat does the Apple Vision Pro look like? Imagine a pair of ski goggles. The fanciest, most sci-fi ski goggles you’ve ever seen. There, you’ve got it. Apple just announced the Vision Pro headset at its WWDC developer conference, during which executives spent a long time detailing both how the hardware works and how you’re meant to use it. After the event, we were able to take a brief look at the $3,499 Vision Pro itself — we couldn’t use it or even touch it, but we could gaze upon its metallic wonders in a demo room at the Steve Jobs Theater. Based on the little bit we’ve seen, it’s a dramatic …
- WWDC 2023 news: Apple Vision Pro, Mac Pro, iOS 17, and more
Montag 23:58 – David Pierce at The Verge – All PostsApple Vision Pro mixed reality headset | Image: AppleApple revealed Vision Pro augmented reality hardware, a 15-inch MacBook Air, the new Mac Pro, macOS Sonoma, iOS 17, and more.
- Apple Vision Pro Hands-On: This Is the Headset I'd Use to Watch 3D 'Avatar' – CNET
Montag 23:40 – Scott Stein at CNETI experienced incredible fidelity, surprising video quality and a really smooth interface. Apple’s first mixed reality headset nails those, but lots of questions remain.
- Spanish fascists stole a game publisher’s domain
Montag 23:04 – Ash Parrish at The Verge – All PostsImage: Ecumene Games Last week, IGN featured a game called Ecumene Aztec — in which you play as an Aztec warrior going full guerrilla warfare on Spanish conquistadors. In the wake of this IGN profile, Ecumene Aztec’s developers have been harassed by far-right extremists, including having the website associated with the publisher stolen by far-right trolls, who then made it into a page promoting Spanish imperialism. In the initial write-up for the game, IGN named Giantscraft as Ecumene Aztec’s developer and publisher. Giantscraft is also listed as the publisher on press materials for the game t …
- Why millions of useable hard drives are being destroyed
Montag 23:01 – BBC News – TechnologyIt is estimated that 90% of hard drives are destroyed. Why aren’t more wiped and reused?
- WatchOS 10 for Apple Watch: Cyclists, Hikers, Golfers and Tennis Players Will Love the Newest Watch Upgrade – CNET
Montag 22:51 – Giselle Castro-Sloboda at CNETApple’s WWDC 2023 unveils fitness perks to look forward to with WatchOS 10
- The iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X aren’t getting iOS 17
Montag 22:50 – Allison Johnson at The Verge – All PostsSorry, iPhone X owners. | Photo by James Bareham / The Verge Apple’s just-announced iOS 17 won’t be coming to the iPhone X, the device that ushered in the era of Face ID. It was announced in 2017 along with the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, which will also miss out on the next iOS upgrade. That makes the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR the oldest devices that will be eligible for iOS 17 when it becomes available this fall, but that doesn’t mean they’ll get every new feature. Every phone that’s eligible for iOS 17 will get the biggies: the new design-driven contact cards, the StandBy display for quick info wh …
- Intel’s backside power delivery process could make CPUs a whole lot more efficient
Montag 22:48 – Wes Davis at The Verge – All PostsA waver holding Blue Sky Creek test chips. | Image: Intel After years of struggling to make good on its chipmaking promises, Intel is publishing two papers at next week’s VLSI Symposium detailing a new way to build chip nodes that should make for more efficient processors, according to its press release today. It’s called PowerVia, and if Intel pulls this off, it’s a pretty big deal in the race to make smaller and smaller processor nodes. PowerVia would be crucial for making the smaller, less power-hungry chips that are part of Intel’s road map debuted in 2021. It would move all power rails to …
- Apple’s Vision Pro headset uses iris scanning for logins with Optic ID
Montag 22:37 – Umar Shakir at The Verge – All PostsApple’s Optic ID as depicted in the WWDC Keynote. | Image: Apple Apple is introducing Optic ID, its latest biometric security authentication technology and the first from the company to be based on the details of your iris. Optic ID will be used to unlock Apple’s new Vision Pro mixed reality headset that was introduced today at the WWDC 2023 event. According to Apple, Optic ID works by analyzing a user’s iris through LED light exposure and then comparing it with an enrolled Optic ID stored on the device’s Secure Enclave. During the WWDC keynote, Apple’s VP of technology development group, Mike …
- Apple’s Vision Pro headset will turn you into a digital avatar when FaceTiming
Montag 22:16 – Emma Roth at The Verge – All PostsImage: Apple Apple’s Vision Pro headset will let you replace your face with a hyperrealistic avatar when you’re using FaceTime. As shown during WWDC 2023, you can scan your face using the headset to create a digital “persona” of yourself that will appear during video calls. Unlike the cartoony avatars you can make with apps like Microsoft Teams and Meta’s Horizon Worlds, it looks like Apple is aiming to create a virtual version of your face that’s accurate to how you really look. In the video Apple showed at WWDC, a user holds the headset in front of their face, allowing the device to scan it …
- iPhone Will Let You Set a Custom Image or Memoji for Your Calls With iOS 17 – CNET
Montag 22:08 – Gael Fashingbauer Cooper at CNETYou can set photos, emoji and typography to create a personalized contact poster to represent yourself.
- Disney Plus Coming to Apple Vision Pro on Day 1 – CNET
Montag 22:08 – Meara Isenberg at CNETAt WWDC, Disney CEO Bob Iger offered a glimpse at Disney and Apple’s collab.
- Apple Cuts 13-Inch MacBook Air Price by $100 – but You Can Already Save More – CNET
Montag 21:58 – David Carnoy at CNETWith the arrival of the 15-inch MacBook Air, Apple has officially lowered the price of its latest 13-inch model, powered by Apple’s own M2 chip.
- Apple’s most expensive M2 Ultra Mac Pro is $40,000 cheaper than the maxed-out Intel model
Montag 21:54 – Jay Peters at The Verge – All PostsPhoto by Nilay Patel / The Verge Apple’s just-announced Mac Pro with an M2 Ultra chip isn’t a cheap computer — it’s designed for extreme workloads, after all — but you might be surprised to hear that the most expensive version of the machine is more than $40,000 cheaper than the maxed-out version of its Intel-powered predecessor. If you get the new $6,999 Mac Pro tower and add the following upgrades: $1,000 for the M2 Ultra chip with a 24-core CPU, 76-core GPU, and 32-core Neural Engine $1,600 for 192GB of unified memory $2,200 for 8TB of SSD storage $400 for the wheels $149 for the Magic Mous …
- Hands-On With the MacBook Air 15-Inch – CNET
Montag 21:40 – Dan Ackerman at CNETThe biggest MacBook Air is a welcome upgrade for older eyes like mine.
- A 2023 Review of Blue Apron: Still the Best Meal Kit Deal in Town – CNET
Montag 21:35 – David Watsky at CNETWith excellent steak and seafood recipes for as little as $8 or $9 a serving, Blue Apron hits the sweet spot for meal kits in 2023.
- The Tech Inside Apple's Vision Pro AR Headset: M2 Chip, 4K Displays – CNET
Montag 21:28 – Stephen Shankland at CNETA $3,499 price tag pays for a lot of high-end hardware, including two Apple processors and high-res displays.
- Apple WWDC 2023 Live Blog: Seeing the Apple Vision Pro Headset, New Macs and More – CNET
Montag 21:27 – Mike Sorrentino at CNETApple’s new Apple Vision Pro — the long-rumored mixed-reality headset — is on display at WWDC alongside new Macs, reveals for iOS 17, MacOS Sonoma and more announcements.
- Vision Pro: Apple's new augmented reality headset unveiled
Montag 21:18 – BBC News – TechnologyThe high price and two-hour battery life raise questions about how popular the new device will be.
- Apple Silicon Is the Mac Pro Upgrade You've Been Waiting For – CNET
Montag 21:14 – Lori Grunin at CNETThe company’s power pro desktop finally gets the update we’ve all been waiting for.
- Vision Health Was the Apple of Apple's Eye at WWDC 2023 – CNET
Montag 20:49 – Jessica Rendall at CNETA new watchOS 10 feature will monitor daylight time, which may be important for kids‘ eye development. Plus, Apple reminds you to keep your screen away from your face.
- How WatchOS 10 Will Enhance Your Apple Watch: New Features Announced at WWDC – CNET
Montag 20:47 – Lisa Eadicicco at CNETNew widgets and watch faces are coming to the Apple Watch in WatchOS 10.
- iOS 17's New Journal App Uses AI to Suggest What to Write About – CNET
Montag 20:39 – Meara Isenberg at CNETApple revealed the app at its Worldwide Developers Conference on Monday.
- Apple's TVOS 17 Brings FaceTime to Apple TV, Find My Remote Functionality to Siri Remote – CNET
Montag 20:37 – Eli Blumenthal at CNETYou can finally use Find My to find a lost Siri Remote.
- Vision Pro Will Beat Any Other Device for 3D Movies, Apple Says – CNET
Montag 20:25 – Ty Pendlebury at CNETThe company showed clips of Avatar 2 and announced Disney Plus would be available on its $3,499 headset.
- Apple's Brainiest Mac Chip So Far, the M2 Ultra, Means No More Intel – CNET
Montag 20:25 – Stephen Shankland at CNETThe new chip powers Apple’s new Mac Pro and upgraded Mac Studio, letting power users pack as much as 192GB of memory into their machines.
- MacOS Sonoma: Will Your Mac Support It? – CNET
Montag 20:20 – Sarah Lord at CNETApple’s latest operating system announced at WWDC has many new features, but you’ll need a fairly recent Mac to run it.
- Apple's EyeSight Feature on Vision Pro Is Creepier Than It Needs to Be – CNET
Montag 20:13 – Corinne Reichert at CNETThe slightly bizarre feature on Apple’s mixed reality headset will show your eyes while you’re scrolling apps to indicate you can see people nearby.
- MacBook Air 15-Inch: Apple Just Announced Its Biggest Air Ever – CNET
Montag 20:01 – Dan Ackerman at CNETFinally, the 15-inch MacBook Air I’ve been waiting for.
- Apple's Vision Pro Headset to Be Secured by New Optic ID System – CNET
Montag 19:38 – Bree Fowler at CNETThe new system uses a person’s unique iris to unlock the mixed-reality headset.
- Apple's Vision Pro Headset Has Its Own OS, Called VisionOS – CNET
Montag 19:33 – Zachary McAuliffe at CNETApple unveiled the long awaited AR/VR headset, the Vision Pro, on Monday at WWDC.
- AirPods Getting a Cool New Feature That Sony Earbuds Already Have – CNET
Montag 19:24 – David Carnoy at CNETWith a firmware upgrade, the AirPods Pro 2 are getting a new ‚conversation awareness‘ mode along with an adaptive audio mode that mixes noise canceling with transparency.
- MOVEit hack: BBC, BA and Boots among cyber attack victims
Montag 18:55 – BBC News – TechnologyStaff at multiple organisations are warned of a payroll data breach after an IT supplier is hacked.
- Linda Yaccarino replaces Elon Musk as Twitter boss
Montag 16:57 – BBC News – TechnologyThe former head of advertising at NBCUniversal is starting earlier than expected.